Prosthetic Retina Could Restore Sight to Blind Patients

A prosthetic retina made of thin silicone

A new type of prosthetic retina could restore vision to patients with age-related macular degeneration (AMD), the most common cause of blindness in the developed world, according to a press release from University of Strathclyde. The device is wireless and less bulky than existing devices. Current prosthetic devices require complicated surgery, and the new device could result in much simpler procedures, according to the press release.

The device is being developed by researchers at the University of Strathclyde and Stanford University. A study on the implant was recently published in the journal Nature Photonics.

The retina implant is made of thin silicone. It converts pulsed near infrared light into electrical current that stimulates the retina and elicits visual perception. (Conventional prosthetic retinas are powered by coils.) Video goggles deliver energy and images directly to the eye.

Part of the inspiration for the device was the cochlear implants, devices for people with hearing loss. The retina implant is similar to these implants, but has a camera instead of a microphone and is designed to deal with millions of light-sensitive nerve cells.

AMD affects one in 500 patients aged between 55 and 64, and one in eight aged over 85, according to the press release from University of Strathclyde. As the aging population increases, AMD is expected to continue to grow.

Media Source:
Medtechinsider
Visit Website

About these ads

About Jose Richard P. Archival
All the articles publish in this blog site were meticulously researched from established sources in this field. The author is an Engineer with a Master in Business Administration, has been blogging and writing articles for web sites on topics in the field of information & technology, home furniture, health, travels, lifestyle shopping and environmental issues. The author is engaged in works in Non-voice BPO Outsourcings, Web Designs, Advertisings, Internet Marketing, Web Contents Management & Development, Ecommerce Retailing and Apps Programming. He will be launching soon his website focusing on Non-voice BPO Outsourcing. The author is also into furniture designing, manufacturing and exporting, where 90% of its production is exported to the US, Europe and the Middle East and the remaining 10% is focused locally, notably its kitchen designs. Most of the designs are Classic to Modern Contemporary incorporating multi-media materials such as indigenous materials, wrought iron/metals, wood/wood base, environmentally friendly weaving materials, stones, leather/process leather and rattan.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 75 other followers

%d bloggers like this: